A Message from Brian McDonald
Greetings Rubicon Students Past and Present!
This has been a milestone year for Rubicon. As you may know, this year marks the 20th Anniversary of Rubicon, the 10th Anniversary of Kids for Kids, and my 15th and final year with the company. To celebrate, we invite you to attend and/or participate in the 10th Anniversary KIDS FOR KIDS Benefit Concert. The theme this year is entitled “The Circle of Life” and will feature performances from Rubicon student past and present. I will be directing, and Miriam Arichea is musical directing. We will have a small orchestra and some special guest appearances planned as well. The event will be held on Saturday, August 11, 2018, at 7:30 pm. Given that it is such a special year, we wanted to do a bigger event which is why we chose to present it at the Majestic Ventura Theater!
What is Kids for Kids?
Ten years ago, Rubicon student Julie Farrell wanted to find a way to “pay it forward.” She conceived of the idea for a benefit concert performed and produced by past and current students. Over the years, K4K has become a highlight of the season and a wonderful way to bring everyone together at the end of summer. This year, the theme of the concert is “The Circle of Life,” with a special retrospective of the past decade. We hope to have as many of our youth program alum as possible participate onstage or via video (see below).
Those of you who wish to be in the show will perform as part of a group and also participate in the opening and closing numbers and the encore.
· The Grunch cast will perform in the Opening Number and will be onstage during "Children will Listen" from Into the Woods, Sung by Grammy Winner Amanda McBroom. They will also participate in the encore, Side by Side By Side.
· The Madagascar cast will perform “Revolting Children" from Matilda Click to hear a clip
· The Grease cast will perform “Come Alive” From "The Greatest Showman” Soundtrack Click to hear a Clip
· The Julius Caesar cast will perform a number that is yet to be determined. We are thinking it might be cool to do an original slam poetry/rap kind of number. Perhaps the theme could relate to Rubicon, Shakespeare, Theatre, Acting, etc… Click here for a sample
· The opening number will include ALL students and will be "The Circle of Life" from The Lion King Click here for a sample
· The closing number will be “You Will Be Found” from Dear Evan Hanson Click here for a sample
· The encore number will be “Side By Side By Side” by Stephen Sondheim Click here for a sample
In past years, we have held auditions. However, this year, we are going to reach out to specific students and guest artists to perform solos or duets. That being said, if you want to share an idea you have for a number (solo, duet, trio, or other) please let us know by filling out the online Kids for Kids Registration Form (see below under Registration)
We realize that many of you have moved away and are on to bigger and better things, so we have come up with several ways you can participate:
1. Everyone is encouraged to fill out the “Kids for Kids Registration Form” online (See Link Below).
2. If you are going to be in town and would like to be in the show, please let us know by filling out the Registration form (See Link Below). Rehearsals will be scheduled the week before the event with a final dress/tech the day of the benefit. For those of you out-of-town who can make it to Ventura for the event, you can be a part even if you can only make the day of rehearsal (Saturday, August 11 from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.)
3. Send us a video (20 seconds max) to share your love for Rubicon! These videos will be shared throughout the performance on a giant screen.
4. Send us a video for the finale performance. Much like the popular virtual choir videos you see online these days we are hoping to include anyone who is out-of-town in the finale by having them send a video of them singing “You Will be Found” from Evan Hansen, which will then get edited together and be played while other cast members perform the finale live. VIEW SAMPLE. If you let us know you are willing to do this, we will send you a karaoke to sing alone with as you record.
Students in the show receive one comp ticket to watch the show from the balcony area when they are not performing.
For family and friends we have several ticket options:
Available by calling Rubicon: 805-667-2900, ext. 237. Subject to availability, seats may also be available online by July 19 at www.rubicontheatre.org
Sponsor Tables of 10 (3 left at $2,500) These reserved tables include waiter service and are located in the part of the orchestra closest to the stage. The price includes a tax-deductible donation to Rubicon’s Education programs of $1,900.
VIP Cafe Tables of 4: (108 currently available at $55 per seat) These reserved seats also have wait-service at smaller tables are one level up and behind the sponsor tables.
Available online through the Majestic Ventura Theater ticket website: Reserve Now
General Admission Floor Seating located in the 3rd orchestra section. These tickets are $45. Chairs only.
General Admission Floor Seating located in the 4th orchestra section. These tickets are $25. Chairs only.
General Admission Balcony Seating located on the second floor. These tickets are $10. Chairs only.
Musical Director Miriam Arichea will be rehearsing at mutually agreed upon times with various individuals and groups between now and the night of the event.
Most rehearsals will take place in the following windows:
Monday - Friday, August 6-10 Day rehearsals by appointment; exact times TBD
Saturday – 10 am - 5pm. Show at 7:30.
Registration (Please fill out and submit this form no later than July 20)
If you are interested in participating in the show, it is very important that you take a moment now to fill out the Kids for Kids Registration Form.
If you have any further questions please feel free to email me at email@example.com.
Thank you again for being a part of the last two decades of art at Rubicon, and of my last 15 years. You are an integral part of the Rubicon family and the Rubicon story, and we look forward to catching up and celebrating together on August 11.
(805) 512-5223 Cell